Friday, November 2, 2007

Ugh- Day Two

Warning: This post, upon re-reading, is not for the faint of heart!

I wish I had something more interesting to write about, but this is day two of not feeling well. The Nausea of yesterday has lessened, but general abdominal cramping and misery have taken it's place. I have that wonderful mixture of being hungry yet having no real urge to eat. And my stomach and lower intestines have been making some really interesting noises.

Probably stemming from my stomach distress, I had horrible dreams of intestinal worms and strange writhing creatures. The best one was when I met this woman in the dream who thought she was pregnant, but when she went into labor had snakes and worms coming out of her belly button and other... areas. She managed to live and was taken to the hospital, where they gave her a drug that should kill any of the remaining worm/snakes in her body. However, she wasn't able to expel them... she was susposed to digest them apparently. So a doctor decided to open up her stomach (and they didn't even put her to sleep- they just stuck a needle into her spine and numbed everything below her ribcage) where he proceeded to open up her stomach and look at her intestines (which resembled stuffed sausages), and when he split one open, it was filled with dead baby snakes, which they took a vacuum to and sucked out. Unfortunately, it was one of those clear vacuums, where you can see the dirt in the container, and so you could see the dead snakes getting stuffed wetly into the container, some of them splitting open so black juices collected at the bottom.

I woke feeling quite sick, and proceeded to stare at the wall, and put my covers on me and get too hot, only to take them off and get too cold.

I went back to sleep, and this time I was in a park I had went to with Anita where there was a lake. I was sitting on the shore, when suddenly, this blue and yellow dragon/serpent came out of the water, crying, "I am the Swedish Dragon, hear me roar!"

And I asked, "Don't you think Swedish Serpent is a bit more catchy?"

The dragon paused in it's ferocious and terrible display to peer down at me. "Do you think so? 'Cause I was afraid of getting mixed up with my cousin, the Loc Ness. She is, after all, a serpent."

"Sucks, I was always thinking she was some type of prehistoric water dinosaur."*

"Nah, she's a real serpent. Now our aunt who lives in the Great Lakes in the US is a real plesiosaur. But she's a sweetheart. Only eats fish. Unlike me, who has found you, a non-swede to eat!" Because of course, the Swedish Serpent couldn't eat Swedes, because that wouldn't be very nationalistic of him, and after all, he's got the coloring and everything so he has to go along with his role.

But I convinced him that I would better be served as his publicity person, because being the Swedish Serpent he'd need someone to spin the news the right way so he wasn't seen as a threat. So I hopped on his back and into the air. (Because he was after all, more like a dragon, with wings-even if he did live in the water)

Unfortunately, he also was a bit of a show-off, and decided to go into a free-fall dive, whereupon my stomach did somersaults and I woke up.

But as I said, today has been been getting steadily better. And I get to look forward going to Oslo to see my dad at the end of break, from Friday to Monday morning, when I come home.

YEY!


*Note: I found out after doing a bit of research that there were no such things as prehistoric water dinosaurs. They were more like reptiles that gave birth to live young. Interesting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Off topic:

You might find the link useful for your Swedish language studies:

http://katrineholmreview.googlepages.com/swedishlanguage

Anonymous said...

Regarding the link:

I'll try that again to make the URL shorter so it shows up in full and you can find the page:

http://tinyurl.com/2bo8j9

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

This American older guy (you don't need to talk to me, I promise), enjoyed your post--and hope you are enjoying your time in Sweden. It is quite interesting to hear your comments on Sweden, Swedish people and how they feel about you and about Americans in general.. I'm traveling to Sweden soon--just to Goteborg for the Christmas market in December, then on to Oslo, so knowing what to expect is interesting.

I hope you get well soon (if you haven't already), and keep posting your blog. There are those like me reading (and enjoying) your insights.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
AddThis Social Bookmark Button Expat Women Blog DirectoryExpat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas Travel Top Blogs Create a Blog
Travel Blogs Top Travel blogs