Friday, November 9, 2007

In Oslo, Norway, Day 1 (AKA: The post that takes forever to load)

So I decided I was going to head over to the palace, and see what it was like, and then from there perhaps check out a museum or something. I have to say, for so little planning, things went really well!

The first thing I did was look at the view from our hotel, the Radison, which is the highest building in Oslo.

I headed out of our Hotel in the direction of Main Street. I was told if you got to the church, you would find Main street. It was, actually, quite easy. And while Main street is rather touristy, it is also really pretty, with street musicians and nice buildings... and really great sculptures! I went a little trigger happy with my camera (but then, when do I not?)

I took several pictures of this lady at different times of the day, because the shadows around her kept changing.
The church was quite beautiful, or at least, what I could see of it, because it looks like it's under restoration.

Pretty buildings!The quite talented street musician. There was a really neat couple that was watching him that I wanted to photo, but they kept looking at me strangely and I didn't want to seem too weird.


Oh god, the amazingness! *drools*
Oh, come on. You know your inner child wants them so badly!Ok, so the first picture you see here is the view of the Palace, and I'm still not so good with my camera so it's blurry.

To the left are gardens... and the National theater. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

To my intimidate left (you can't see it in the photo, is the Parliament Building, which is GEORGEOUS!

I'm SO planning to go there.


Here you have one of the lions out in front of the parliament building, which I'm going to go take a tour of on Saturday... since that's the only day they let you in. Isn't he cute? I always like the daydream I have where the statues come to life in a city, and it tickles me pink to think of this guy roaming around Mainstreet.













You guessed it, the Parliment Building.
























When I first saw these deer, I thought they were real. Surprised the heck out of me.



So I was just starting to get hungry (it was just after noon, when I came by this place. They were doing some type of promotional gig, and they were giving out free soup. God, It was AMAZING soup. The Beef was nice and soft, the vegetables well flavored... if you're ever in Oslo, and want someplace that has good food, this place is what it says, fast good wholesome food. YUM.

NOW I can talk about the National Theatre!

This place was surrounded by statues, the most prominent being three of Norway's biggest playwrights, one of which is Ibsen (*loves on Ibsen*)








I took a picture of my favorite statue.













I then proceeded to make my way up the hill that leads to the Palace. This is a picture of the view.












And this is my attempt to photograph the roses that are still in bloom. (Are they aware that it's cold out? )


















And finally, I made it to the Palace!














MORE PALACE!













So after looking at the palace, I was just about to leave when something started happening! I really don't know what it was, but it was cool:



After the palace I went to the Ibsen Museum, which is the apartment where he lived out his last years. It was a really cool place that I could write a whole post about just in and of itself. It was really sweet because when I got a tour of the apartment, I was the only English speaker, so they gave me my own tourguide, who not only was really nice, but tolerated me peppering her with questions.





4 comments:

Unknown said...

That, darling, would be the changing of the guard. Which is exactly what it sounds like from the name. Isn't it fun? When I was little and we went up to Canada, we would get to see it outside some of the major government buildings there. I love that you can hear the bells in the background marking the time for the change.

Unknown said...

That's what I thought it was... but the guards didn't CHANGE. I was confused.

Commodore said...

Bah! someone beat me to the commenting... oh well...couldn't tell you what that ceremony was...but reminded me of a memorial ceremony I saw in arlington a while ago. Also, I must say I love that last picture, of the statue of the woman at night. And obsessing about shoes, *rolls eyes* god, you're such a girl...

Unknown said...

You should see the shoe photo I took today. And I took lots of statue pictures. In fact, I think I drove my dad a little up the wall... and that's not counting the photos I took YESTERDAY!

And the person who beat you was Becca... *loves on Becca*, thus making this the most commented on entry yet!

The light on the statue at night changes colors, which is really cool. I'll try and see if I can get some more photos of it.

I think I'm going to plan a post of the Statues from Oslo I want in my backyard... I'm quite excited.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
AddThis Social Bookmark Button Expat Women Blog DirectoryExpat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas Travel Top Blogs Create a Blog
Travel Blogs Top Travel blogs