Sunday, November 4, 2007

Backpostage... 'cause I'm behind

I'm actually writing this on the 9th, but filing it on the 4th, because my sense of Order demands it so.

So what has been happening lately? Well, I was sick from Friday the 2nd until Monday the 5th. However, on Saturday I THOUGHT I was all better, so I decided to go with Anita and Magnus to see the "Day of the Dead" celebration thingie they have. It's not called Day of the Dead, and it isn't the festival you hear about in Spanish-speaking countries, but on the Saturday after All Hallows, many Swedes go to the graveyards of the people they've lost, light candles and honor them. The sentiment was something I appreciated, and something I kinda wish was more popular in the 'states. We went to one of the biggest Cemetaries in Sweden to light our candles- because both Anita and Magnus' family live far away, and the importance of the holiday is about remembering, not where you are.

It was, quite simply, beautiful. It's one of the few cemeteries that has a forest in it, and as we walked the cemetery you could see all the candles- oftentimes more than one candle- at almost every grave. There had to be traffic control to channel the flow of people.

Unfortunately, it was more walking than Anita made it sound, and I very quickly discovered that I was not up to my normally charged batteries. I had to go home because I was feeling faint. Still glad I went though.

In other news, take a look at this:

Yes, it's what it seems. A purple potato. It comes from Gotland. Anita says something in the soil makes them look that way. I really want to make mashed potatoes out of them simply because of the color. It also puts a whole new spin on the song, 'Purple Stew' that's sung at camp.

3 comments:

Commodore said...

Ooh...you should totally smuggle some of these into the country, so we can experiment with them...I can just imagine some recipies...like purple french fries!

Unknown said...

*eyes light up* This is a GOOD idea. Purple Potato Pancakes!

Commodore said...

Purple Hash Browns!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
AddThis Social Bookmark Button Expat Women Blog DirectoryExpat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas Travel Top Blogs Create a Blog
Travel Blogs Top Travel blogs