Thursday, October 18, 2007

Representing America... wait, ME?!?

So yesterday I went to speak to Magnus’s class about being an American. *rolls eyes* As if I actually know something about being an American. One of the major things that makes me apprehensive about being in Sweden is I'm worried that someone is going to assume that I'm a "typical American." It’s interesting, because I don’t particularly consider myself representative of what an American is, although since I’ve come to Sweden I’ve noticed that in values and in ways of looking at the world, I’m more American than I thought.

But anyway, I opened with a brief geographical lesson, and a little bit about where I live and what my family’s like, and then I began answering questions. Magnus had the students write out at least one question on a piece of paper so that I wouldn’t be functioning in a vacuum- as like most high school students it took most of the class for them to warm up enough to start asking questions.

I think the experience went well, and I tried to keep the conversation from straying too much to politics, just because on so much I’m not quite sure of where I stand or how to defend it. Also, since our ways of looking a the world are so different, they gave me very strange looks when I told them that you vote not only on a politician’s stand, but also on how you perceive them morally… for instance, evaluating if you think they will actually try to do what they promise to do, or do they have a hidden agenda that is different from what the politician is saying.

We talked about food, how Swedish pancakes are strange because they are flat, and sports. One of they guys asked me if ice hockey is really as violent as it seemed on TV. I said yes, or at least, my perception of it was the same as his. Another one of the people asked me if I would prefer to raise my children in America or Sweden, and I truly had to think on that question, because I’m not quite as sure as I would have been before I came here.

They asked about my perceptions of Swedes, the differences in schools in America and Sweden, and dress codes. I explained to them that it’s not always the adults that promote dress codes, and in some schools the demand for dress codes comes from the students. I then confided that personally I could see the merit of uniforms, even if I didn’t particularly want them myself.

It was an interesting experience. As a closeout, I gave them all my blog address, so that if they were interested they could take a look at it. I also gave them the web address for The Swedish Program, so that if they ever wanted to host a study abroad student, they had the information. Some of the people seemed genuinely interested.

Magnus thought the whole thing had went well, and I’m inclined to agree with him.

And now, I must get working on my essay, which is due at noon tomorrow and which I don’t have very much ready to hand in yet.

3 comments:

Commodore said...

It sounds like you did very well representing America...even looking at our culture through the jaded eyes of Yankeedom that you do :-p. I'm glad it went well; you always seem to learn more about your culture when you tell it to people who have no idea where you are coming from

Unknown said...

yeah, well I told them all about accents and how Southerners spoke slow because they couldn't think as fast as us better Northerners do.

Commodore said...

Hey now, we speak slow and deliberate, where every word has meaning, rather than filling up a conversation with fast spoken meaningless fluff like Yankees

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
AddThis Social Bookmark Button Expat Women Blog DirectoryExpat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas Travel Top Blogs Create a Blog
Travel Blogs Top Travel blogs