Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I find this outrageously funny, and I know it isn't

Question: Far, får får får?
Answer: Nej, får får inte får, får får lamm.

*dies laughing* I will explain.

In Swedish, får means both get and sheep. Get meaning not only get a thing, but also get children, much like we have the word beget. So understanding that...

Translation literal (with the make sense translation in parenthesis):

Question: Father, get sheep sheep? (Father, do sheep have baby sheep?)
Answer: No, sheep get not sheep, sheep get lambs. (No sheep don't have baby sheep, sheep have lambs.)

This is now my favorite swedish dirty joke, right up there with the white and black horse joke.

PS: Another interesting linguistic quirk... gift (pronounced yift in swedish) means both to get married, and posion.

*runs off laughing*



EDIT: As I was informed just a few minutes ago, I had my settings put on the comments so that only members could comment. This made some people sad. I can only blame it on the fact that Blogger registers me as a swedish speaking person, because I'm in sweden, and so I can't read any of the buttons. I've had to painstakingly translate each one and memorize what it does. Now, I'm sure there is a way to switch to english somewhere, but I haven't found it yet, seeing as everything is in swedish. But I have fixed it now so that you can comment. So please, if you feel the urge to write something in response, do so. I can promise that I, at least, will greatly appreciate it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Becca loves Jen. And Becca too finds these jokes real amusing. Perhaps she's a huge dork. Or maybe it's a camp thing.

PS I love you ten million.

Unknown said...

BECCA! I love you! I've been missing you so much. BTW, did you get my postcard?

Anonymous said...

Why is that a dirty joke? It's just a pun

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
AddThis Social Bookmark Button Expat Women Blog DirectoryExpat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas Travel Top Blogs Create a Blog
Travel Blogs Top Travel blogs