Monday, October 22, 2007

Of all the things I miss...

Now, being in Sweden there are a bunch of things I miss. Oh, don't get me wrong, I miss people (my family, boyfriend, friends and bestfriends) and I miss places (my bed, the library, Davidson, Davidson College, my "study spots")

But there are things I miss. And one of those things is my books.

I read a post on a blog I follow here, and the author of the post noted how her mother says she doesn't need to meditate because she has her books. And I have to agree. Whatever Anita seems to get from meditating (the calm, the stopping and just relaxing, the moment to herself) I can get from reading.

I love reading. At home I often average two or three books per week. These exclude the reading I do for classes or on the internet. I read about 450 pages of text a week. Just for pleasure. Now, granted, I often read books more than once, and I am reading brain candy- mostly romances, paranormals, and murder mysteries, but despite that, I read A LOT. It's my way of decompressing.

Here in Sweden? Don't read so much. Not many books in English, and the ones that are in English tend to be classics or more intellectual novels, because the smart people are the people who are Swedish and reading books in English, and if their reading in English it probably isn't for escapist purposes.

So, yes. I miss my giant hot chocolate mug, my collection of crocheting needles and yarn (Yeah, I miss that a lot) my drop spindle and carders. I miss my plants and my comforter and my pillow (even though the ones here are just as good). I miss my familiar smelling deodorant and shampoo (although I've been finding some nice-smelling alternatives).

But books?(In English?) I miss them a heck of a lot. I'm going to have to do a lot of making up reading when I get home.

4 comments:

Commodore said...

Well, your thirst for reading will be temporarily satiated soon enough darling; for the rest, this semester is going by plenty fast as it is, christmas will be upon us before we know it. Love you and miss you too!

Unknown said...

I know. I'm looking forward to that.

It does provide motivation to get good at Swedish though.

Anonymous said...

Most libraries has english sections and there are a number of english bookshops around.

And of course there is Amazon.com :)

Anonymous said...

you should go to Akademibokhandeln on Mäster Samuelsgatan in Sthlm! there you will find a huge section just for english books. I mean, they have more books in english than they have in swedish..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
AddThis Social Bookmark Button Expat Women Blog DirectoryExpat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas Travel Top Blogs Create a Blog
Travel Blogs Top Travel blogs