Monday, October 1, 2007

Family History 2

So the next place we went was Mildred’s old house, which is being fixed up by Håkan’s brother Rowland (who apparently is very well off and owns 5 houses all over the world). There we had fika, a wonderful Swedish tradition similar to teatime in Europe, except that it happens with coffee and it can happen both in the morning and at night… kind of a glorified coffee break. There we got to look at some really old pictures of some of our relatives (which I have on video and in pictures, since we weren’t able to copy the originals).

After having fika, we went to visit the farm that Zacharias was born on. As I said, the area was beautiful, and Håkan picked me a really unique flower that was purple with little dots on the underbelly and shaped like a trumpet or bell. I took pictures of it, but the camera didn’t want to focus on the flower *pouts* I want to find out what type of flower it was… it was simply beautiful.

Marion had arranged for a really neat craft museum to be open for us, where a couple had taken it upon themselves to preserve some of the handicrafts that were being done in the area. Marion had donated a sampler to the place (see picture), so she was able to get the owners to open it up and give us a tour. There was a loom, some really neat crocheting and lacework, and possibly my favorite thing, snow chains for bicycles. Yes, only in Sweden would the people be mad enough to ride their bikes in snowy icy weather that would call for bicycle snow chains.

After the craft museum we went to lunch… a welcome break because I was getting low on blood sugar and nearly falling asleep on Håkan as he drove us there. Next we went to a really neat place… Haverud, which is the only place in the world were there is both a road, train and water bridge all in one place. It was SO COOL. I got a postcard of it, in addition to video. Real Swedish innovation, along with being really creative and quite picturesque.

Then, off to a craft store that sold some really neat local crafts. At this point I was getting pretty tired, but I had just enough energy to peruse all four levels of the store and pick out some postcards and knickknacks to take back with me.

Finally, finally we went back to Håkan’s house, where we had a large fika or small meal, and then, Håkan surprised us with something he doesn’t show many people… the footage to his 50th anniversary. Then, we had to say goodbye to Håkan and Marion, for we won’t see them tomorrow, our last full day. I nearly cried, because it was so wonderful to meet such great relatives that were not only so kind and welcoming but so willing to work with me on my Swedish. They had great sense of humors, and even though by the end of the day I was feeling Swedish-Languaged out, they were just unflagging in their delight that I was learning their language. It was very heartening and humbling at the same time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
AddThis Social Bookmark Button Expat Women Blog DirectoryExpat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas Travel Top Blogs Create a Blog
Travel Blogs Top Travel blogs