Sunday, September 23, 2007

Oh, and Guthar and Gunnar are the same person. Gunnar is the right way to spell his name

That took most of the day, and we got back around three. We had just under an hour to freshen up and take showers if we were so inclined, and then it was back on the bus to go to a Viking Village. Daniel had been talking about this village all weekend, he was so excited. It ended up being quite cool, a neat mix of being geared toward tourists while still having historically accurate details. We got to wear Viking clothing over our own clothes, and the differences between the brown ‘dresses’ and the brown with purple ‘dresses’ divided us into teams. The first thing we had to do was create a cheer. Ours went as such:

We are the Slashers, the Stockholm Slashers

And we will eat you all for dinner,

We will pillage your village

And eat you with a side of vegetables!

Slashers, Slashers, Slashers

HUH!

Needless to say, it was amazing.

Then, we competed in such activities as spinning with a drop spindle (Guess who dominated that sport… you’re right… ME! Heh. And people say it’s a dying art), making a chain out of chain links, building a ‘house’ with pegs and wood, measuring in Göteborg Units (a real measurement that fell out of use 200 years ago), archery (I also dominated that sport, being the only person out of us to have both arrows hit the target… YEY for summer camp and teaching archery!), and throwing axes (I was quite bad). It was a lot of fun. I have some good pictures.

Next was dinner… again without silverware, this time without even knives. We had roast lamb, really roasted over a fire, and even the split skull was there! It was quite yummy. Then, after dinner we performed skits based off of a runic inscription we had to interpret. Our skit was quite funny, one because we had the characters, and then separate people who were the voices, so females were male voices, and it looked like bad Chinese dubbing. Ours was about Jack, from jack and the beanstalk, and how he goes to the heavens and finds a giant and Thor, god of thunder, fighting. After explaining that giants were an endangered species, Jack tricks the two into stopping fighting and leaving heaven so Jack can have heaven to himself. We also had pregnant pauses and other amusing stuff.

It was hilarious at the time, and since the humor isn’t something that can be explained, just trust me… I nearly peed my pants laughing.

After that we had a game where two people sat on a round log over mattresses and whacked each other with pillows until one fell off. It’s harder than you’d think… but I think girls have an advantage with their distribution of body weight. I actually won, surprising since I felt like the whole time I was going to fall off. I didn’t get pictures of me, but I got some great ones of other people.

So now the night’s over, we ended the Viking Village soon after, and headed home. Some people went to the pool and the sauna, but I forgot my bathing suit so I didn’t do that. I think most people are going out partying, but I’m planning on taking a shower and heading to bed… yes, eleven being relatively early, but for me pretty late. I’ll post this tomorrow, because I’m too lazy to do it now.


Hopefully tomorrow morning I can try to do my walk again.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
AddThis Social Bookmark Button Expat Women Blog DirectoryExpat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas Travel Top Blogs Create a Blog
Travel Blogs Top Travel blogs