Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Finland Cruise

So I was a little concerned going into the cruise because:

1.) I didn't really know these people and I was going to spend the next 12 hours hanging out with them on a boat.

2.) I had heard the cruises described as "Booze Cruises," because the ships are Duty Free Zones, so the Swedes take the time to buy alcohol that isn't taxed up the wazoo. They also bring a lot of that alcohol back with them.

3.) This was taking a bit of a risk for me and I often over think these types of things. I was also missing out on choir to go on this, and I hadn't been entirely honest about the fact that I was missing choir to go on a cruise. They didn't have any problem, and I didn't like, I just moved the truth around a little.

It ended up being a lot of fun. The group of people were very accepting of the fact that I didn't like fizzy drinks, and thus didn't really like drinking beer like most of them were doing. They didn't drink to get drunk... they got a little tipsy but that is an improvement from what I've been exposed to at college.

I actually struggled with my morals a lot on this trip. I don't drink in the US- other than having a sip or there to try something. It's illegal, and I don't like how drink lowers your IQ and impairs your thought process. My brain is one of my favorite attributes. So I wasn't quite sure how to conduct myself on the cruise. Part of me wanted to have and drink alcohol, because I was curious. Also, because at school I'm known for not drinking, but here nobody had a previous opinion of me.

Well, my curiosity got the better of me, and I ended up having two Strawberry Daiquiri's, which to my senses did nothing, but they were the only alcohol I drank on the whole trip. I also bought some Bailey's Irish Cream (because I love that stuff) and some cognac, which I've been wanting to try. I haven't yet, I figure I'll save it.

Then came the doozy. The group did buy beer- in bulk for all the parties they might have in the future. They might also sell it at a minor profit.

But all in all the trip was nice. While we were hanging out during various parts of the trip I attempted to learn Swedish songs, and they sang a bunch of English songs like "Wild Rover" which I love and enjoy. One of the guys brought his miniature guitar, (which has a name starting with a U that I can't remember or spell) and played accompaniment to different stuff. I shared with them my rendition of "Biddy McGraw." They thought it was quite amusing.

Later, I mentioned I had brought my flashcards with me, and one of the guys insisted on helping me with them, by also telling me cultural impressions of the words, and also telling me if there was any way to make the word dirty. *snickers* It was a lot of fun.

Lastly, I got some great pictures that I'll share with you, but in the next post, because I don't want them to squish this post.

1 comment:

Klem said...

the "U" guitar is an Ukulélé :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
AddThis Social Bookmark Button Expat Women Blog DirectoryExpat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas Travel Top Blogs Create a Blog
Travel Blogs Top Travel blogs